BUSINESS FINANCE DEPOT – THE FRANCHISE FINANCE EXPERTS
Paul Bosley launched Business Finance Depot in June 2006 as an equipment leasing company focused on lease equipment to the Fitness industry. In May 2013, Paul volunteered for SCORE, a division of the Small Business Administration and learned how SBA loans provide financing to new and existing business in all industries. Over time, the company has grown to include a talented group of professionals and has expanded into the Franchise and the RV Park and Campground industries.
This article outlines the various financing programs the company offers and how our franchisor and manufacturing clients use the products to provide financing to their clients.
SBA 7(a) Loans
This national loan program can be used to finance nearly any legitimate business purpose. The SBA offers loan guarantee which reduces the lender’s risk which, in turn, makes securing an approval more likely. These loans offer some of the lowest APR available and are amortized over the longest repayment term available. The following information lists possible uses of SBA loans and some of our franchisor clients currently using each aspect of the program.
Financing a Start -up Business –
- The SBA 7(a) Loan will finance up to 85% of the total project costs including equipment, organization costs, buildout, deposits, inventory, working capital and franchise fees.
- The SBA Express Loan provided working capital up to $150,000 for any business purpose and requires only business collateral! – Neighborly, Garage Living , Patrice & Associates, Fibrenew, Naturals 2 Go & Ace Handyman Services
- The owners’ equity injection ranges from 15% – 30% of the total costs and cannot be borrowed money such as a home equity loan.
- A resume with industry experience, transferable skills and/or related education is important!
Expanding an Existing Businesses – All of the Above Franchisors
- Same SBA loan terms as listed above
- An emphasis is placed on the profitability of the business based upon business’s recent tax returns and interim financial statements.
- The SBA Express Loan provided working capital up to $150,000 for any business purpose and requires only business collateral!
Debt Consolidation of an Existing Business – All of the Above Franchisors
- The funds are used to refinance business debt including existing mortgages, equipment leases and loans. Credit card debt is typically NOT included.
- The resulting monthly payment must reduce the total monthly payments of all debt being consolidated by at least 10%.
Business Acquisitions – Kampgrounds of America (KOA)
- The Letter of Intent must be supported by a business valuation. The valuation is conducted by the SBA lender using the seller’s tax returns and interim financial statements.
- If real estate is involved in the business purchase, the terms and conditions are similar to the real estate section listed below. Otherwise, the terms and conditions are the same as to those listed immediately below.
Common Criteria, Terms and Conditions for the Three (3) Uses Listed Above
- The collateral required is all business assets.
- For loans over $350,000, additional collateral is required which is typically real estate owned by the principle(s) only up to the loan $ amount.
- Good personal credit (700+ is preferred)
- 10-year loan repayment term
- No prepayment penalty
- The interest rate is a variable rate. It is calculated by adding the prime rate as published in the Wall Street Journal (currently 3.25%) plus a risk premium typically 2.75% = 6% APR.
- Closing Costs are typically 3% of loan amount and are added to the amount financed. Please note – new legislation indicates the SBA is waiving its loan guarantee fee for loans under $350,000 until late in 2022!
- Timing to close – 90 -120 days which varies with the bank workload & responsiveness of the borrower.
Real Estate – Commercial Mortgages – Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Parks & Kampgrounds of America (KOA)
- The loan will finance up to 90% of the purchase & development cost.
- The equity injection is no less than 10% of the total cost and cannot be borrowed money such as a home equity loan.
- The business must occupy at least 51% of the useable space. This provides an opportunity to sub lease the remaining 49% of the useable space.
- Terms and Conditions – Same as above with the following exceptions:
- Loan Repayment Term up to 25 years
- Fully amortized loan repayment with no balloon payment
- Prepayment penalties – range from 1-4% over the initial 3-4 years
- Interest Rate – Prime (3.25%) + a risk premium estimate which varies from 2% up to 2.75% = 5.25% up to 6%
The main benefits of equipment leasing are that the transactions are completed quickly and the collateral for the transaction is the equipment package being financed. The typical terms require a down payment or security deposit ranging from 1 lease payment up to 20% of the $ amount being financed. The repayment term ranges from 3 to 6 years. Once the lease is paid, the ownership of the equipment is transferred to the company leasing the equipment.
Our company has developed leasing programs for many non-fitness franchisees Garage Living, Smash My Trash and Red Box + which require trucks or vans and equipment. We designed leasing programs for 3 of United Franchise Group’s storied franchises, Signarama , Experimax and Fully Promoted. We have served as a main source of equipment leasing for fitness franchises including F45 Training , Blink , Athletic Republic, The Camp Transformation Center & HOTWORX. We also provide financing for a variety of fitness equipment manufacturers including Keiser, Promaxima & Woodway.
Our company works closely with an aggregator specializing in unsecured personal loans to provide working capital. These loans can be used for financing in addition to an equipment lease or for clients not interested in or eligible for SBA loans.
Our team is honored to serve a diverse client base in 3 very different industries. We are poised to expand so if you want to learn more about how we can serve your business financing needs, please contact Marisol Cruz, COO, by calling (800) 788-3884 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us online at www.businessfinancedepot.com.